Protect your
United States


Frequently asked questions

Click on a product below to read the FAQs

General Questions and Definitions

QDo I need Renters Insurance if I don't own very much?

A. Most people’s belongings are worth more than they think. A better question is: “How much would it cost to replace everything I own”?

QDoes my property owner's insurance cover me?

A. No – the property owner’s insurance generally covers only the building where you live. There is no coverage for your personal belongings or any personal liability coverage if you are negligent and legally responsible for causing bodily injury or damage to someone else’s property.

QWhy do I need personal liability insurance?

A. Most property managers are now requiring evidence of personal liability insurance when tenants rent an apartment. Personal liability coverage will pay for damage you may accidentally cause to the rental property as a result of fire, smoke, explosion and water damage. 

QWhy does my community require personal liability insurance?

A. Personal liability coverage pays the community for damage caused to the rental property as a result of fire, smoke, water damage and explosion caused by residents.

Many renters do not realize that they are financially responsible for damage caused to their rental property as a result of their negligence. For example, if you accidentally start a fire in your apartment that causes damage to the building, you are legally responsible for the damage.

QWho is Assurant Specialty Property and why do I get emails or other correspondence from Assurant?

A. We’ve partnered with Assurant Specialty Property to bring you best‐in‐class Renters Insurance products and services. Assurant Specialty Property handles all of the insurance underwriting, customer service and claims administration on our behalf. 

Assurant Specialty Property is part of Assurant, a Fortune 500 company and a premier provider of specialized insurance products and related services in North America and selected other markets. Assurant, which is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol AIZ, has in excess of $29 billion in assets and $8 billion in annual revenue. 

QWhat are my payment options?

A. You can pay your premium by choosing one annual payment or our monthly payment plan. A monthly payment plan includes a transaction service fee up to $5 per month depending on your state of residence. As a small token of appreciation to you, we won’t charge this transaction fee for the first month. 

QWhen will the premium payments be billed?

A. Regardless of your actual move‐in date, you are billed immediately for the entire premium if you choose annual pay, or for the first installment if you choose a monthly pay plan.

QWhy is auto pay the best option?

A. Most customers find having their payments automatically deducted is easier. That’s why we automatically default to auto pay when you purchase your policy.  If you want to receive an invoice and pay your premiums at your discretion, as scheduled, simply call our Customer Service at 1‐800‐432‐8612 to change your collection method.

QWhat are your Customer Service hours?

A. If you are an existing policyholder, visit 24/7 or call 1‐800‐432‐8612. Customer Service is available Monday through Friday from 8am to 8pm EST.

If you're not an existing policyholder, please call us toll free at 1‐866‐918‐0331, Monday through Friday from 8am to 10pm EST and Saturday from 10am to 5pm EST

QWhat is MyBubble?

A. MyBubble is our online account management portal for policyholders. On MyBubble, you can:

  • View your policy details
  • Change your personal information – your password, postal address and phone number 
  • Learn how to file a claim 

To get started, simply register your account with the exact details you used to originally buy your policy. To access MyBubble on return visits, simply use the “My Account” link in the top right‐hand corner of our homepage to log in

QWhat is "loss of use" coverage?

A. If you suffer a loss by a covered peril and your residence is not fit to live in, your policy covers either Additional Living Expenses or Fair Rental Value.  

QWhat is a "moratorium"?

A. It’s a waiting period set by the insurance provider. During this time, certain types of insurance, including Renters Insurance, can’t take effect. Moratoriums are usually established when a catastrophic event – like a hurricane or wildfire – is anticipated for an area. Call us toll‐free at 1‐866‐918‐0331 to determine if your area is under a moratorium.

QWhat are "Additional Living Expenses"?

A. ”Additional Living Expenses” are any necessary increase in living expenses incurred by you so that your household can maintain its normal standard of living.  

QWhat is "Fair Rental Value"?

A. "Fair Rental Value" means the fair rental value of where you reside is covered, minus any expense that does not continue while the premises are uninhabitable.


QWhen will I receive my policy?

A. If you’ve chosen to receive your policy documents electronically, you’ll get an email between 24 and 48 hours after purchasing your policy online. If you give us an incorrect or invalid email address, your policy documents may be delayed. 

If you chose not to receive your documents electronically, you should receive your policy documents within 10 days from the time you purchase your policy online.

QHow will my policy be delivered?

A. If you opt to receive your policy documents electronically, you’ll receive your original policy, declarations page and renewal policy by email. If not, they will be mailed to you within 10 days from the time you purchased your policy online.

You can change how we send you your documents at any time by visiting or by emailing us at Please include the insured’s name, address and policy number on your request. 

If you prefer, you can also call Customer Service at 1‐800‐432‐8612, Monday through Friday between 8am and 8pm EST.

QWhat happens if the email containing my policy document is undeliverable?

A. If after two attempts to email your documents they are still returned as undeliverable, we’ll try to find a better email address for you. If we can’t find one that works, we’ll automatically change your preference on our system and send your policy documents by US mail within five to 10 business days. 

QCan I change my policy?

A. Yes – you can make changes to your policy online at You’ll need to register your access as a first time user; to do this, you should have the following information handy: 

  • Your policy number
  • Your ZIP code
  • Your policy’s effective date 

Once you’ve registered, simply select your policy and click the “Request Policy Change” button. We’ll review and process your request within three to five business days – after which any approved changes will be shown on the site.  

You can also email your request to Remember to include your name, address, policy number, policy type and the type of change you want. For general questions, call us toll‐free at 1‐800‐432‐8612 Monday through Friday from 8am to 8pm EST. 

QHow many named insureds can I list in my policy?

A. If you purchase a Renters Insurance policy you can list one named insured and one additional insured. Anyone listed on the policy will be named on any claim payments or policy refunds.

QShould I list my landlord/community as an additional insured?

A. No – if you’re liable for damage to the community as a result of fire, smoke, explosion or water damage, your property manager won’t be able to collect damages against your policy if they’re named on your policy too. 

If your property manager wants to be named on the policy you can consider adding them as an interested party. 

QDo I need to list my spouse as a named insured on the policy?

A. No – a spouse is automatically insured if he or she is a resident of the same household as the policyholder. 

QCan I purchase coverage for my child who is renting an apartment/dorm while at college?

A. Yes – however, you can’t request any changes unless you are also listed on the policy. 

QCan roommates share coverage through one policy?

A. Yes. If you’d like to add a roommate, please visit All individuals will be named on any claim payments or policy refunds.

QCan I cancel my policy?

A. Yes – but we really value your business and always regret it when a customer wants to leave. If you want to cancel, you can do so through, or send an email to Please include information about the policyholder to the website or in the email request.

QIs there a cancellation fee?

A. No, there is no cancellation fee.

QWhat if I move?

A. In most cases, your coverage can be transferred to your new rental property. Simply submit an address change request in the “Manage My Policy” section of

To change your policy location you’ll need to let us know 30 days before the day you begin to move. If you move to a new state, a new policy with the applicable rates and forms will be issued.

QWhat if I buy a home?

A. If you purchase a home, you can cancel your policy by visiting the policyholder website at or via email to Be sure to include your name, current and future addresses, policy number, policy type, the last day you plan to live in your current residence and the move‐in date to your new address.

QIs there a deductible?

A. You can choose a $100, $250 or $500 (where available) deductible per occurrence on your property coverage. To see which deductible amount is applicable in your state, please refer to your coverage selection. Deductibles do not apply to Personal Liability coverage. 

QIs there a special limit on certain personal property?

A. Yes – some items with special limits include jewelry, silverware, stamps, cards, guns and gold ware. Please refer to your policy and forms for a detailed list and limits. 

QHow do I schedule personal property?

A. Once you’ve purchased your Renters Insurance policy, contact customer service at 1‐800‐432‐8612, Monday through Friday between 8am and 8pm EST. A friendly customer service representative will be happy to help you schedule your personal property.


QHow long am I covered for?

A. This is a yearly renewable policy. 

QIn the event of a tropical storm or hurricane, is my personal property in my Renters Insurance policy covered?

A. Yes – you are covered if the direct force of the wind or hail damages the building and causes an opening in a roof or wall and the rain enters through this opening, causing water damage to your personal property. 

QDoes my policy cover flood?

A. No – this policy does not cover water damage as a result of flood. This includes the accumulation of surface water in normally dry land areas, overflow of a body of water, water which backs up through sewers or drains or water below the surface of the ground. 

For more information about flood insurance, contact the National Flood Insurance Program or your insurance agent.  

QAre my computer and cell phone covered?

A. If you purchased a Renters Insurance policy, your cell phones and computers are covered if they are damaged as a result of a covered peril. 

QAre my items covered when in storage?

A. Yes – please refer to your policy and forms for any limitations that may apply.  However, the insured location must be the residence of the insured; it cannot be the storage location. 

QIs mold covered?

A. Yes – damages due to mold may be covered. Please refer to your policy for details, including availability, exclusions and limitations. 

Filing a Claim

QHow do I file a claim? What can I expect?

A. Whether you need to file a property or liability claim, call our Claims Department 24/7 at 1‐800‐358‐0600 or visit to get the claim process started. Please be prepared to give a detailed account of the events for which you are claiming. 

Property Claims 

Complete a claim form to detail any and all personal property that you’ve lost due to a covered event (fire, theft, wind, vandalism or another covered event). We can send you a claim form, or you can complete it online at  Ensure that you have the following items ready:

  • Your policy number 
  • The police or fire department report number assigned to your case, depending on the nature of the loss 
  • Your landlord or property manager’s phone number 

Liability Claims

We’ll take down information about the nature ofthe claim. After that, we’ll immediately get you in touch with a Liability Adjuster from Assurant Specialty Property.  The Liability Adjuster will contact you and work the process further depending on your unique liability circumstances. 

QIf I have a loss, what should I keep as proof of personal property to make sure I get fully reimbursed?

A. The best way to prove ownership is keeping receipts of purchase for each of your belongings. However, if that’s not possible, you can provide us with pictures of the each item with their brand names, serial numbers and models. 

QHow are claims for personal property with replacement cost paid?

A. If your personal property is damaged by a covered peril, we will pay the replacement cost of the item without deduction for depreciation. You’ll need to replace the item(s) before the full replacement cost can be paid, otherwise cash value will be paid.

QWhat if my neighbor leaves the water running in the tub and it overflows into my apartment?

A. Since your neighbor is responsible for the damage, he or she would be legally responsible to pay for the damage, both to your personal belongings as well as your rental property.


Need to ask a question?

Contact us
United States
Select your country
All insurance products are offered by The Signal, L.P. The Signal, L.P. is a licensed Insurance agency appointed by American Bankers Insurance Company of Florida and American Security Insurance Company. American Bankers Insurance Company of Florida and American Security Insurance Company are Assurant, Inc. companies licensed to offer insurance products. Protect Your Bubble, the Protect Your Bubble logo, Bubble and Squeak and other Protect Your Bubble trademarks, service marks, graphics and logos used in connection with this website are trademarks of Assurant, Inc. in the United States.