Mobile security has become a big concern as security breaches have become commonplace now. With the prevalence of smartphones being integrated in our every day lives, hackers have found easy ways to access personal data via malware, illicit apps, social phishing scams & more.
We’ve compiled the best 15 mobile security apps available right now that offer image security, data security, password protection, and virus protection.
SAFETY IN DOWNLOADS THE BEST MOBILE SECURITY APPS OF 2015
LURK-PROOF YOUR IMAGES. Whether selfies are your guilty pleasure or you’re looking to safeguard pictures of your little-ones, keep your pics and footage safe from unauthorized viewers. Crop out cyber creepers once and for all with apps that let you decide how to manage your virtual photo albums and video archives.
1. PRIVATE PHOTO VAULT ●● Take photos directly from the app and skip the rigmarole of moving images around from album to app. ●● All imported photos are PIN or Pattern Lock protected. ●● Treat perpetrators to a surprise “theftie.” The app snaps a shot of potential photo crooks and tags their GPS location so you can see where the break-in attempt took place. ●● For times when curiosity gets the best of nosy counterparts the app arms you with a decoy password. If an intrusive friend or foe is nagging you for a peek into your private albums, punch in your decoy password and it will open up to a completely different set of pictures.
2. BEST SECRET FOLDER ●● Forbidden folders on your home screen only entice prying prowlers. Instead of labeling your folder a “secret,” this app disguises the icon as “My Utilities” to mimic ordinary home screen apps. ●● Keep over-the-shoulder lurkers at bay with a “dummy screen” that makes it look like your folder is empty when you launch the app. ●● Treat perpetrators to a surprise “theftie.” The app snaps a shot of potential photo crooks and tags their GPS location, so you can see where the break-in attempt took place.
3. GALLERY LOCK LITE ●● Even better than a disguised folder, Gallery Lock Lite lets you put the app icon in “Stealth Mode,” so it doesn’t appear on your phone at all. ●● By typing in an asterisk and your password and pressing “Call,” you’ll gain access to your private files. ●● Should any trespassers become savvy to your hidden files, after three failed password attempts the app snaps a photo of the perpetrator in the act.
4. KYMS ●● Fool unwelcome gazers with this app’s ingenious disguise. When launched, wandering eyes will stumble upon a fully functional calculator. ●● Within the calculator app, you can access your private files by punching in your four- digit PIN number and the equal sign. ●● KYMS enables media import from your computer, camera roll and the Web, so you can easily sync your collections between devices.
IT’S OK NOT TO SHARE. Sharing is caring—until your data lands in the hands of careless hackers taking liberties with your personal information. From identity theft to location tracking, cybercriminals are happy to snatch any information they benefit from. Safeguard your digital delicates; these apps not only protect your confidential information, some are so adamant about privacy, they don’t even share your data with their own staff.
5. SPIDER OAK ●● As advocates of privacy rights, the creators of Spider Oak designed a cloud platform that ensures only you can see your data. No one else—not even their staff—can gain access to your stored information. ●● Not only is everything password-protected, their “zero-knowledge” policy means your password will only exist in the server memory during the browsing session. It’s stored in encrypted memory and destroyed without a trace once your browsing session ends. ●● Data backup is the only way to prevent total loss of important data. With this app, no matter what happens to your laptop, phone or tablet, your data is always available.
6. VPN FIRE ●● Not all Wi-Fi networks are secure. VPN Fire lets you practice safe surfing anywhere, anytime. Their Virtual Private Network creates a virtual “tunnel” through which your data travels from your computer or mobile device to one of their VPN servers, for the utmost anonymity across the digital sphere. ●● Because hack attacks are often directed at a known IP address, the app assigns your computer a new IP address and hides your real IP for added protection.
7. ANDROGNITO ●● For anyone looking to go incognito with their personal data, the Andrognito application features “Unique Stealth Mode” to deceive intruders into a fake vault. ●● For added invisibility, “Invisible Mode” keeps the app hidden from your home screen when you log in to your device. Instead, you can access data by punching in a code through the dial screen. ●● Should a trespasser even attempt to gain access, Andrognito automatically locks the app for 15 minutes after three failed login attempts.
8. WICKR ●● Prevent personal data theft by making it completely inaccessible to begin with. The “unhackable” app protects your images, messages and even conversations with military-grade encryption to ensure communication can only be read by you and your intended recipient. ●● Need to hold onto messages and media temporarily? Set an expiration date for all mobile interactions and the app deletes them when you’re ready.
PASSWORDS ON STEROIDS. These aren’t your grandma’s passwords. Back when a four-digit combination was enough to impede a data breach, you were likely only safeguarding your voicemail. Now that your device doubles as a wallet, photo album and data keeper, it takes more than your mother’s maiden name to protect your personal information. Not only are passwords longer and more complex, but you need a separate one for each account. Give up the scribbled-on sticky note and never forget a password again with these apps.
9. KEEPER ●● Using the same password for multiple accounts makes your data vulnerable to hackers, but remembering multiple passwords is a hassle. Keeper memorizes every long, complex password for you in a secure and convenient password managing system. ●● More than just a password keeper, the app also stores and encrypts logins, credit card numbers, bank account information, confidential files, photos, important documents and videos in a private digital vault. ●● Running out of password combinations? Keeper takes the guess work out of creating high-strength passwords by generating them for you.
10. MSECURE ●● Ease the agony of phone theft or loss. This app uses ultra-secure 256-bit blowfish encryption to safeguard your website logins, bank accounts and credit cards to fully protect your finances, identity and reputation. ●● Hackers will find themselves on a Mission: Impossible with mSecure’s self-destruct option. If a perpetrator tries to guess your password, the app destroys the stored data after a set number of attempts. ●● As an added bonus, you can sync with the app anywhere using a general Internet connection without compromising data security.
11. PASSWORD BOX ●● This app securely and automatically stores usernames and passwords to all your favorite sites, so you can enjoy a streamlined login process and keep peeping eyes from trying to see your login credentials. ●● Enjoy worry-free virtual shopping sprees without the hassle of finding your billing credentials again. With secure checkout, your information is stored in your digital wallet and can be accessed in a single tap. ●● For times when sharing is necessary, Password Box enables secure data exchange while keeping you in control of password visibility and editable settings.
12. DASHLANE ●● Automatically generate and save new passwords with peace of mind, knowing the app uses AES-256 encryption to secure your private information and passwords. ●● Dashlane color codes login information pages to help you quickly and easily find frequently visited sites. ●● Unlike other apps, Dashlane uses actual logos instead of regular text to list saved website logins.
VIRTUAL BUG SPRAY. Stop worrying about debilitating infections taking over your mobile device. Let hackers know that nothing comes between you and your tech-nificant other with antivirus protection that wards off data- threatening viruses. With the proper immunization, you and your mobile device can enjoy worry-free data sharing for a lifetime—or at least until your next upgrade.
13. VIRUSBARRIER ●● Infected devices are highly contagious. Each time you connect your smartphone to another device, it’s like open-mouth coughing on your co-workers. Virus Barrier X8 scans iOS devices when they’re plugged into your desktop computer to ensure that no viruses or infected files get passes onto your Windows or Mac machines. ●● Whether you’re tech-savvy or not, this antivirus protection setup is easy. ●● The app scans files whenever they’re accessed and automatically checks for the latest updates to make sure you’re always protected against the newest threats.
14. 360 SECURITY ●● This app prevents you from hoarding useless files on your Android system by deleting unused data for an instant speed boost to your Android performance, while freeing up storage space with a single tap. ●● Tired of dealing with slow-moving apps? 360 Security frees up memory (RAM) and boosts your Android phone. The One Tap Clean feature reclaims memory to free up RAM, enabling you to open apps without delay. ●● This dual-purpose virus shield not only rids your devices of virus, malware, vulnerabilities, adware and Trojans, but it also increases usage speed by optimizing your background apps, memory space, junk files and battery power.
15. BITDEFENDER ●● More than a virus defense system, this app also arms you with vital privacy usage information. The Privacy Advisor shows you how installed apps use and possibly abuse your personal information. ●● Never fear another Web search. Bitdefender protects you in real-time when browsing websites using Chrome. ●● With powerful anti-theft protection, you can ensure your data never falls in the wrong hands. The app lets you lock, track and wipe your phone from any Internet-connected device.