As we all anxiously await the arrival of the new iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c, the internet is running rampant with leaked photos and rumors about the new iPhones. One of my favorites is the prospect of the gold iPhone 5s. My first thought was “would a gold version of the device would really get the masses back in line at every Apple store in the US?” When you look at it from a global perspective, the gold iPhone could be significant driver of sales in cultures where gold holds a special cultural significance. These also happen to be markets where the iPhone craves more marketshare. In China, the color gold symbolizes both wealth and happiness. In India, accumulating gold is more than a status symbol – it is more of a lifelong quest which has made India the world’s largest consumer of gold. Maybe Apple is on to something simple but great again.
To celebrate the new gold iPhone 5s, here are 5 fun facts and 5 surprising items that are laden with gold:
Gold Fun Facts:
1. Gold is so rare that the world pours more steel in an hour that it has poured in gold since the beginning of recorded history. Coincidentally, there is also a rumor for an iPhone color that is gunmetal or steel for the industrially stylish as well.
2. “Welcome Stranger” discovered by John Deason and Richard Oates in Australia in 1869 is the largest gold nugget ever found. It was 10 x 25 inches or the size of two basketballs. It produced 2,248 ounces of pure gold which would be valued around $3.2 million today. That could buy over 5,000 iPhone 5s!
3. The home of the iPhone is Apple’s headquarters is in Cupertino, CA. Settlement of California was sparked by the California Gold Rush back in 1848 when John Marshall discovered flakes of gold on the ground in Sacramento, CA. The NFL team, San Francisco 49ers, are named after the Gold Rush miners that flooded the area in 1949.
4. In Ancient Egypt, gold was considered “skin of the gods” and only the pharaohs could possess it. Now it will be the skin of the iPhone and everyone can possess it. Sorry King Tut…
5. Pure gold is so soft that it can be molded by hand. Pretty sure the iPhone won’t have pure gold on the back, but we know that these devices are susceptible to damage when dropped. Protect your device with Protect Your Bubble’s iPhone insurance.
5 Surprising Gold Items:
1. Shiny Kicks – $5,405 price tag – Created by artist Ken Courtney for his “Ju$t Another Rich Kid” exhibit. They are a size 10 which might fit a high school basketball player. Move over Dorothy, these golden slippers take you to the hoop, not Kansas.
2. Gold Toilet – $5M price tag – In every movie, I’ve ever seen thrones were made of gold, but this throne is more of a tourist attraction at Hong Kong’s Hall of Gold. So many jokes, so little time…but make sure you don’t drop your gold iPhone in the golden toilet. It happens all the time, but that would probably be a first.
3. Golden Motorcycle – $1M+ price tag – The frame of this motorcycle is worth $1M alone and doesn’t scream gold. It was designed that way by a Turkish millionaire. It looks like something discovered in Pirates of the Caribbean. These wheels may be certified by the Guinness Book of World Records as the world’s most expensive motorcycle.
4. Golden Grillz – Unknown price tag – What list this week would be complete without a Miley Cyrus sighting? From Flava Flav to Miley Cyrus, celebs are finding many ways to get gold in their mouth. Billy Ray is reportedly giving Miley a gold grill that will keep her tongue in her mouth at all times after her VMA performance last week.
5. Gold Six Feet Under – $380,000 price tag + cellular network monthly plan – This shiny coffin is a luxurious final resting place for the rich wanting to copy the likes of King Tut, James Brown, and Michael Jackson, but let’s not ignore the golden smartphone that come with it. It doesn’t appear to be an iPhone, but maybe we’ll see the gold iPhone 5s in the next edition.
We are excited about the new iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c and can’t wait to see what Apple has in store for us all. Remember to protect your shiny new iPhone when you get it as the gold version is bound to be a popular target for thieves. Check out our iPhone protection plans for your next device.